Sunday 20 April 2008

Half Mast

Last Sunday marked the end of Genocide Memorial Week in Rwanda, fourteen years after almost one million people lost their lives. The week began on Monday 7th April, the official start of one hundred days of mourning for those lost in the war. The mood has been unsurprisingly sombre, and of course for many this has been a very traumatic period with horrifying experiences being relived as memories are revived.

In Nyagatare, and across the country, the first act of commemoration took place on the Monday afternoon as the residents of the area processed through the town in silence ending with a meeting in the centre. Throughout the rest of the week the whole town shut down every afternoon and all the adults attended conferences on the Genocide, where survivors gave testimonies and films were shown. Children were not required to attend these conferences which meant that the whole place was eerily silent except for the sound of children’s voices.

I cant deny that the whole feeling behind this period left me a little uncomfortable, not that I do not believe remembrance is very important, of course it is, but because the revisiting of this horrific time is so thrust upon the population that there is no escape. Every afternoon not only are the conferences happening throughout the country, but televisions are only showing Genocide-related programmes and the radio playing Genocide-related broadcasts. It must be different for every individual and is undoubtedly a matter of personal perspective but one can’t help but wonder what effect this has on individuals.

Meanwhile, all primary and secondary school teachers have just come the end of a three week ‘political camp’ for solidarity training, which took up the whole of their holidays. As a result the President announced at their closing meeting, held (amidst great traffic chaos) at the national stadium, that they would get an extra week off. This will inevitably throw the school term out of whack and is bound to have repercussions for our programme as well as students’ timetables. But this is the way Rwanda works, and so I will work with it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Hannah

I have avidly read your blog from start to finish! I have just found out that I am coming out to Nyagatare in September. I would love to exchange a couple of e-mails if you have the time although by the looks of things internet is pretty limited!

Best of luck for the continuation of what seems to be a very good job.

Heloise

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah

Really enjoy reading your blog - lucky you for being there! I'd love to do the same sort of thing and am just looking into how to go about it and what to expect. Is it very different from what you imagined?

I'd love to hear more as I'm really interested.

Cheers
Estella

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah

I'm really interested in hearing about your work and life in Rwanda. It all sounds very exciting! I love reading your blog and would like to find out more if possible.

I thought I'd left a message a few days ago, but it doesn't seem to be here. I'm trying again! I've also written to your friend, Jane, who seems to be doing the same thing. I'd just like to find out as much as possible.

Is it very different from what you expected? How long are you out there for?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Estella

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah

Really enjoyed reading your blog and looking to find out more about life in Rwanda.

Have written to you before but no sign of my messages, are you receiving them? Please let me know. Hope all is well with you!

Thanks and take care
Estella